WA Health system

Continuity of Support (COS) program – how to make a complaint

Continuity of Support (COS) service providers should encourage you to provide feedback about the support you are receiving by:
  • providing you with the service provider’s complaints policy
  • encouraging you to discuss with them any concerns that you have about the support you receive
  • providing you with information about who to contact if you are not satisfied with the outcome of concerns, you have raised
  • ensuring that your complaint is confidential and does not disadvantage you in any way, now or in the future.

As a consumer of COS support services you are entitled to have any complaint dealt with objectively and without fear of retribution.

A complaint should be made directly to your service provider, by any of these procedures:

  • in writing, you may ask for a complaint form or write a letter
  • by telephone
  • in person.

If you prefer, you can involve an advocate, who can speak and act on your behalf. An advocate can be a family member or a friend, or an agency such as Advocare (external site). Your advocate can be involved at each step of the complaint process.

A request for confidentiality and anonymity will always be respected and does not affect your rights to a thorough investigation of your complaint.

If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction at service provider level you may wish to have the complaint dealt with through the WA COS external appeal process. Your complaint should be forwarded in writing to:

Purchasing and Contracting Unit

Department of Health
PO Box 8172
Perth WA 6849

Last reviewed: 26-07-2023
Aged and Community Care

This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical care. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare professional. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their medical questions.