WA Health system


What is Medicare?

Through Medicare, the Australian Government helps with the costs of some in-hospital and out-of-hospital services.

Can I get Medicare?

You can get Medicare if you:

  • are an Australian or New Zealand citizen
  • are a permanent resident
  • have applied for permanent residency (excluding an application for a parent visa) and meet certain other criteria
  • are covered by a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (external site) with another country.

What services does Medicare cover?

Find out what services Medicare covers (external site).

My Medicare card is lost or stolen – how do I get a new one?

Contact Medicare for a replacement card (external site).

Does Medicare cover me when I’m travelling overseas?

You can get help with the cost of urgent or essential medical treatment you receive in some countries through the Australian Government’s Reciprocal Health Care Agreements.

Some types of medications and health care services are not covered under these agreements.

Remember that these agreements do not replace private travel health insurance.

Translated information about Medicare

More information about Medicare

Visit the Medicare website (external site).


Related sites

Link to HealthyWA Facebook page