Treatments and tests

Continence management and advice

The WA Continence Management and Support Scheme is co-ordinated jointly by the Department of Health, which is responsible for the clinical service, and the Disability Services Commission, which has responsibility for the product subsidy.

The Continence Management and Advice Service (CMAS)

The CMAS provides community-based management and advice for people who:

  • are permanent residents of Western Australia
  • have ongoing continence conditions
  • are financially disadvantaged
  • are aged 16 years or older.

How to apply

CMAS is a statewide clinical service operated by Silver Chain (external site).

Your GP or other medical doctor can refer you to the service.

A professional continence advisor will clinically assess you if you are eligible and an individual continence management plan will be developed.

Making a complaint

Silver Chain has an internal complaint process in place for clients, their families and carers. Should your complaints not be resolved by the service provider then you can access external complaints mechanisms, including the Health and Disability Services Complaints Office (external site).

Product subsidy and delivery

You may also be able to buy subsidised products from the Disability Services Commission (external site) Continence Management and Support Scheme. A CMAS continence advisor or an approved external continence advisor will assess you and refer you to the product subsidy scheme if you are eligible.

For queries regarding product subsidy and delivery of products visit Independence Australia (external site) or phone 1300 788 855.


Aged and Continuing Care Directorate

This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical care. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare professional. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their medical questions.

Link to HealthyWA Facebook page