Healthy living

Managing your drug and alcohol use during pregnancy

Don’t be afraid to ask for help.

Sometimes pregnant women feel tired and overwhelmed. It’s good to have people around who care about you, so ask for as much advice as you need.

Friends and family can sometimes make you feel bad or guilty about your drug use, or they may use around you when you are trying to cut back or not use.

If you feel pressured or find it hard to make positive changes, talk to your drug and alcohol worker, doctor or midwife about setting realistic goals for yourself.

Have regular pregnancy health checks

Sometimes it can be difficult to remember appointment dates and times, but it’s important for you and your baby that you keep your regular pregnancy health checks with your midwife or doctor. This also demonstrates that you are doing your best to look after yourself and your baby.

Medication and nausea

If you have morning sickness (pregnancy related nausea or feeling sick) or vomiting, you may need medication to help.

If you are taking methadone or subutex and you vomit your dose, contact the doctor who prescribed the medication for you. They will work out whether you need another dose.

Where to get help

Women and Newborn Drug and Alcohol Service

The Women and Newborn Drug and Alcohol Service (WANDAS) is a specialist team based at King Edward Memorial Hospital that cares for pregnant women experiencing drug and alcohol issues.

The WANDAS team is made up of a number of health professionals, including:

  • doctors
  • midwives
  • social workers
  • dietitians
  • mental health professionals.

WANDAS will help you and your baby become and stay as healthy as possible during your pregnancy.

  • Phone: (08) 9340 1582 or 0414 892 753

Women and Newborn Drug and Alcohol Service

This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical care. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare professional. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their medical questions.

Link to HealthyWA Facebook page