Healthy living

Starting or moving schools – immunisation records

Immunisation is important

Vaccine preventable diseases, such as measles or mumps, can have serious health consequences for school-aged children and others in the community.

You can help protect your child by ensuring his or her vaccinations are up-to-date.

Your child’s immunisations should be registered with the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR).

You need to share your child’s AIR history statement with the school.

The school needs to know which children are not fully immunised for their age as they may be excluded from school during outbreaks of some vaccine preventable diseases.

How do I access my child's immunisation records?

Early childhood immunisations

All immunisations given to children are recorded on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR). An AIR history statement is automatically generated when an individual completes their early childhood immunsiation schedule.

Learn more about the AIR and how to access your vaccination record.

What immunisation records do I need to provide?

If your child was born in Australia

You will be able to get a copy of your child’s AIR history statement. Find out more about the AIR and how you can get an up-to-date immunisation history statement.

Alternative immunisation records can be difficult to interpret and will not be accepted by the school.

If your child was not born in Australia

If your child is not registered on the AIR, for example if they were born overseas, you should contact your immunisation provider (GP or child health clinic) and ask them to forward your child's overseas records to AIR to ensure you get an AIR statement for future use.

Learn more about immunisation for children moving to Australia.

If you have chosen not to immunise your child for medical or other reasons

You are still required to provide the school with an immunisation record such as an AIR certificate indicating that no vaccinations have been administered.

How do I access my child's immunisation records?

Whenever your child is enrolled at a new school, you are required by the School Education Act (1999) (external site) to present your child’s immunisation records. This includes:

  • enrolling your child for kindergarten and pre-primary
  • enrolling your child for secondary school – your child’s secondary school still needs to know if your child has not received his or her early childhood immunisations. Again, this is because if there is an outbreak of a vaccine preventable disease these students may be excluded from school.
  • transfers between schools (primary and secondary).

More information

Phone the AIR 1800 653 809 (free call from landline only) or visit the Department of Human Services (external site).


  • You can help protect your child by ensuring their vaccinations are up-to-date.


Public Health

This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical care. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare professional. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their medical questions.

Where can I get my vaccine?